Friday, April 24, 2009

Beauty Review: Paula's Choice Barely There Sheer Matte Tint

Particularly during the hot, steamy days of Dallas summer, I don't especially care for wearing makeup of any kind. Not foundation, not powder, not blush -- nothing. It worked well for me when I lived in Grand Junction, Colorado, but Dallas, however, can be a pretty demanding, high-maintenance kinda town for women, especially professional women. Even the creative artiste types tend to dress up over here. No paint-splashed smocks in public, please. We have a rep to protect. (This may be why I'm having a hard time readjusting to life back in my own hometown, but I digress.)

I reviewed some of Paula Begoun's Paula's Choice skincare line yesterday and absolutely love love love the products. They're super-light and make my skin feel so smooth and well-nourished. I do use Neutrogena's Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-in Hydrating Treatment (2% salicylic acid) for exfoliation and Clean & Clear's Foaming Facial Cleanser for Sensitive Skin as my cleanser, but I've added Paula's Choice toner, day sunscreen and antioxidant serum to the mix.

When I ordered the skincare products from PC (they have an awesome distribution system, so that I received the products a mere two days after I placed the order, even though I chose Standard Shipping), I also threw in a few samples, including two of their Barely There Sheer Matte Tint SPF 20. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of foundation, but I might tolerate a tinted moisturizer, especially if it has SPF. The fewer products I layer on my skin, the better, and with a tinted moisturizer, I could just wash my face, tone and put on the tint. Voila! A touch of lipstick and/or gloss, and I'm out the door.

My two cents? The sample I received was in a sweet little black pot and was enough for at least two applications. It glided on well and absorbed quickly, and the color (Sheer Beige) was pretty close to my skintone, albeit a wee bit darker. I might try the next lighter color, Sheer Neutral, the next time.

Still, it's not the perfect solution that I was (foolishly?) hoping it would be. I dream of someday having a foundation or tint that would provide the kind of sheer coverage that isn't obvious to anyone who doesn't know me. I have fairly decent skin, but I'm 37 and have had acne problems in the past, and with my brown complexion -- scars easily -- I could use a bit of coverage. The only "perfect solution" I've found is the Prescriptives custom-blended foundation, but it's expensive -- albeit totally worth it if you have the money -- and ever since I've been trying desperately to approximate its effect with cheaper solutions at the drugstore.

Paula's Choice Barely There Sheer Matte Tint is a decent option, but B. (that would be my husband) told me that it does tend to settle a bit around the cheek areas when I smile. I don't see it myself, but I probably needed to see it in bright, natural light. It does provide a good matte finish, but by mid-morning my nose was shinier than usual, so if your skin tends to the oily side you definitely will want to bring a powder or at least blotting sheets.

The sunscreen is excellent, with both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, so this might work for someone with sensitive skin. Paula's Choice offers four shades: Sheer Beige, Sheer Neutral, Sheer Ivory, and Sheer Fair, and the Web site points out that since it's supposed to be sheer, the shades are meant to suit all skin tones. Still, you might want to try samples of a couple of different shades to test out their look on your skin. Since they are sheer, if you rely on this tint solely for your sun protection, you'll need to layer it on in order to get the full effect. Otherwise you'll need additional sunscreen. If you have oily skin like I do, the fewer products you have on it, the better, so make sure you have a good match so that you can apply a generous amount.

Bottom line: Good option for those who don't like foundation but still want some sheer coverage, plus the added bonus of a high SPF sunscreen. Bargain priced, great shipping. Samples are offered, which you should definitely take advantage of, especially if you're going to be ordering other products from Paula's Choice anyway.

Paula's Choice Barely There Sheer Matte Tint SPF 20: $14.95 for a 1 oz. tube.

No comments: