Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Glorietta Mall bombing

The tragic bombing of Glorietta mall gives me great pause, and not merely because I was just there a few weeks ago and am only too aware of how crowded, how popular the area is for Manilenos and visitors alike on any given day, whether it's Friday afternoon or first thing Monday morning.

I pray for all the victims and their families and hope that those who survive remain hopeful and optimistic about the future. That they don't give up on our country and its people, that peace is always possible, and that life is and will always be beautiful. It's bad enough that Filipinos are killing each other on the streets every day, that the indifferent rich ignore the plight of their poorer neighbors, erecting physical and social walls between them so that they don't have to face the agony of the poor soul's wretched life. But to deliberately, so violently attack them, to hide behind the protection of a mask or a faceless group, smacks of cowardice and inhumanity.

I hope that Filipinos will move on, beyond this tragedy, and while honoring the dead and never forgetting their individual stories, they remember their own dreams for themselves, their families and their country, and continue to fight to fulfill them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was in the Philippines the entire month of September and also went to that famous clinic. I purchased an eye cream that I am very happy with.

On another note, I shopped at the Gloriatta mall many times in September because I was staying at a hotel about a 2 minute walk away. Security there was always very tight, both going in and out. I pray for all those lives lost in that bombing tragedy. Filipina's are the nicest people in the world, I love the people, culture and the country.