Thursday, October 18, 2007

Nivea Multiple Night Whitening Cream

While I was in the Philippines last month, I was floored by the enormous number of skin whitening products on drugstore and grocery store shelves. Even just fifteen years ago, the only beauty product I remember that specifically targeted skin whitening was San-Ing, a cheap Chinese import you could even buy at a neighborhood sari-sari store, and whose active ingredient was Sulfur. I tried it after a fair-skinned cousin recommended it, but she neglected to tell me to stay out of the sun. I'd applied to on my neck as a tester, and by the second day, I had a nasty, itchy rash that lasted for days.

Never again.

Anyway, I loved loved loved browsing through the store shelves, trying to finding the right skin lightening product (i.e., recognizable brand, inexpensive price, and yeah, attractive packaging). I would've loved Shiseido's White Lucent line, but, ahem, my wallet would scream anytime I was within a five-mile radius of their store counter.

I did, however, find a whole slew of Nivea products, and at a super-reasonable price (about P125 or so for the creams, or just under US$3). One of the active ingredients is something called White Pure Active, which supposedly "reduces your skin's pigmentation at its source." I brought home five pots of Nivea Multiple Night Whitening Cream, and I've been slathering it on my face, neck and decolletage every night ever since. So far, it's left my skin surprisingly smooth, considering how oily it often is. (Of course, this may have something to do with the fact that it's bone-dry out here in the high deserts of the western United States right now, what with winter just around the corner.) I've been using it for almost a month, and while this may simply be the power of suggestion, I do think that my skin tone has brightened somewhat.

I gather that one pot will last me about 6 weeks, so with four more in my linen closet, I'm safely stocked up until the next time I head back to the Old Country.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness. I almost totally forgot about San-Ing! Now, I can recall myself watching older women applying it when I was a kid. I wonder if they're still available.

Beauty in Mahogany said...

Hi, Sasha! Thanks for stopping by!

Yeah, believe it or not, it's still available. I've seen it tucked away in obscure drug stores, and perhaps Mercury still carries it. I wouldn't use it, though, considering all of the really cool new stuff that's come out since then!

Marjorie

Anonymous said...

They're still available? I'll definitely try and look for them, not to sample, just out of curiosity. LOL.

Beauty in Mahogany said...

Hi, Sasha! I've no idea if they're actually dangerous or not, but be careful! ;-)

Here's a link I found for a European-based company that apparently still sells it. If you do get it, let me know how it goes. (Especially if you sample it!)

Cheers,
Marjorie

Unknown said...

Hello.. I just bought a small tube of San-Ing 3 days ago... And it's just my 3rd time using it.. It's amazing how fast it dried up my pimples and it made the texture of my skin smoother. It's actually quite good, considering the fact that it's freaking cheap... :D

Beauty in Mahogany said...

Hi, Paolo, and thanks so much for the comment! Forgive me for the delay in my response!

Yeah, I don't think I'll use San-Ing again, but I know it worked wonders for my cousins. I'm not surprised that it's still around and still popular. It's a super-cheap and effective way to smooth out your skin. Just definitely stay out of the sun while you're using it!

Cheers,
Marjorie

G hrbl Simpson said...

I found this blog post very interesting and I hope to see from the responses whether it does work. Hopefully it does!

Anonymous said...

i have sensitive skin, i used so many creams before. just for curiousity, I asked 1 friend what cream she uses,she have a good skin, she told me san ing, so i try & until now im still using this cream coz it can cure pimples & rashes, it have a good effect & really works..i trust this product!

Anonymous said...

Hi!. I think there are different products in the San Ing line. Which is the one that made your neck burn? I used to use this one http://www.amazon.com/San-Ing-Solstice-Medicine-Company/dp/B001FAPFLI , and to me it always seemed more like a physical layer of like makeup that made my face look lighter instead of lightening chemicals. I am considering starting to use it again if I can find it, but I am just concerned about what is in it. I am ok if it is just like makeup, like I remembered, but I would rather not put chemicals on my face daily, espeically if it can burn like you said happened to you. Do you remember if this is the one you used. Also, do you have any recommendations for more physical whitening creams, rather than chemical ones? Thanks so much for any advice you can give me!

Anonymous said...

im using san-ing cream and its really amazing...maybe il try it on my neck to find good results then...cheers

Unknown said...

Do not use bleach or ammonia for skin whitening. These chemicals are extreme harmful to the skin and it leads to long term damage. I am using IDC pearl gel face wash for cleansing my skin.

priyakiran said...

Select face whitening creams carefully....some creams may harm your skin....
I am using IDC pearl face wash,purchased at clickoncare.com.....

Unknown said...

@ priya, Can you please share me the link related to IDC pearl gel?