Monday, October 29, 2007

Spa Open House

As I mentioned last week, I attended the Open House at the biggest medical spa in town last Thursday night. A bunch of my co-workers had promised to go as well, but as usually happens, only 3 others showed up, including my supervisor, L. who is quite possibly as vain as I am. :-)

Anyhoo, very interesting evening. I expected at the most perhaps fifty attendees, given the conservative, North Face-wearing kind of crowd here in my little town. So imagine my surprise when I turned the corner at exactly 6 pm (when the invitation indicated that the party would begin) and was confronted with at least fifty women already sipping champagne, hovering over the free samples and lined up at the free massage station. By the end of the evening (two hours later), over 200 people had come through the entrance. I even saw quite a few women of color, another surprise considering the very whiteness of this town. The aesthetician had mentioned the day before during my consultation with her that at least 30% of the practice's patients are people of color, but as she's actually a staff member I'm less inclined to believe her and would prefer to see for myself.

Almost two dozen tables offered information on everything from reflexology, aromatherapy, Jane Iredale mineral cosmetics (with free makeover), Fraxel, Obagi, La Roche Posay, Dermasweep, Nia 24, Radiesse, and a host of other dermatological services and products. I spent most of my time at the Obagi and Fraxel tables, grilling the reps about their product, checking out the brochures, and swiping whatever samples I could get away with. I got enough information from the Obagi rep -- a perky, tall, thin blonde who was just nice enough to be not-very-annoying -- to feel comfortable about starting the kit I bought while in the Philippines a few weeks ago.

The Fraxel rep, on the other hand, was a smooth-talking guy in a suit and sporting a Mediterranean-like tan. He was thorough with my questions, but I hated that, in answer to my question about potential risks and/or problems, he sort of screwed up his face and said, "You know, I've never actually heard of any problems with these. You'll have the downtime, but otherwise, these are practically risk-free."

Uh, dude, you haven't been doing your research. Are you telling me that a high-powered laser burning off layers of your skin poses no risks at all? Later that evening, a cursory search through some forums on the Internet unearthed quite a few posters who weren't very happy with the treatment. Some were pleased, while others were adamant that the minimal results they ultimately got weren't worth the downtime and considerable expense. I also found one whose downtime lasted considerably longer than the "5-7 days" that the rep claimed.

Anyway, that pretty much clinched the deal for me. As appealing as the rep and the aesthetician and the brochures all make it sound, the risk-benefit analysis just didn't work out for me. The cost for me -- 4 partial treatments -- would have been about US$1440 (or US$1100 had I been willing to pay in full the night of the Open House), quite a big amount for a freelance writer with some credit card debt left to pay. I decided that a series of microdermabrasion and chemical peels (which I've had done before, in the Philippines, and am comfortable with) would be better for me and my wallet.

But I did enjoy one consolation: I won -- Yes, I won! I, who almost never wins anything! -- a gift bag with full-sized bottles of an Obagi cleanser and day eye gel. Woooooo hoo!!! They gave away quite a few door prizes, but most of the numbers they called belonged to people who had already left. Anyway, I also did a quick makeover at the Jane Iredale table and found what appeared to be the perfect shade of mineral foundation for my skin.

In between the table-hopping I visited the food table and ate more than enough hors d'oeuvres to make a very satisfying dinner. Skipped the wine and champagne, though, as I don't drink and drive. Besides, being surrounded by all these awesome beauty products and high-tech skincare equipment gave me enough of a high!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious as to what small town your referring to? You mentioned "I even saw quite a few women of color, another surprise considering the very whiteness of this town." I didn't realize the whiteness of Dallas I guess or the fact it could be considered a small town? Were you talking about somewhere else?