Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My favorite comfort "food:" BOOKS!!!

Did it! Went to Borders this morning and bought Beauty Confidential by Nadine Haobsh, All You Need To Be Impossibly French by Helena Frith Powell, and Kimora Lee Simmons' Fabulosity: What It is & How to Get It. Yippee!!! Had a horrible weekend (the details of which I will not bore anyone with, so I indulged in quite possibly the best way to soothe rattled nerves and tight muscles: book shopping! Yes, despite my obsession with all things beauty, my favorite possession of all is still my ginormous personal library.

I'll review these treasures on this site as I read them. (I'll review Powell's book on my other blog, My Inner French Girl, natch.) In the meantime, if you've already read either one (especially Kimora's, which has been out for months. Nadine's was released today.), please do let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Ugochi said...

yay, Kimora!

i picked up my copy from the library today and can't wait to tear it open!

let us know what u think of it!

p.s. - books are grrreat!

Beauty in Mahogany said...

It's on my desk awaiting perusal. I think I'm going to take a warm aromatherapy bath and browse at will. God, that sounds soKimora, doesn't it???

I know that some reviewers on Amazon aren't crazy about the fact that she writes about non-beauty and fashion topics. One commented that she would've liked to have seen KLS discuss more of how she puts her outfits together, etc. I respectfully disagree, though. As much as I'm fascinated by KLS's designs and clothes, what really intrigues me about her is her approach to life, how she manages to juggle all these different balls in the air while still maintaining her fabulosity. She's a woman who knows her strengths as well as her flaws, and uses the former to her advantage while minimizing the latter. She also knows how to run a business without succumbing to the all-too-familiar danger of becoming "just like one of the guys." Say what you will about KLS, but you could never accuse her of being anything but a Woman. (Is there a word in the English language that's the equivalent of emasculation? If not, why not?)

Anyway, this should be so much fun, not to mention go-girl empowering!

Marjorie