Saturday, October 20, 2007

Olay's Definity moisturizer

One of the new products I've been trying of late is Olay's Definity Deep Foaming UV (SPF 15) Moisturizer. It's not cheap (I think I paid low US$20's for the bottle, which so far I've been using for two weeks), but it's not bad compared to so many department store brands. Olay's been getting fantastic reviews from everyone from Consumer Reports to Paula Begoun, the Cosmetics Cop, and I love that they're always coming up with new, state-of-the-art skin care lines.

The Definity line appears to be especially friendly to women of color, as it specifically promotes it as a treatment for women dealing with hyperpigmentation and dull skin tone. I love the Deep Foaming UV moisturizer as it provides the broad-spectrum sun protection I need for casual everyday use (I'm not normally out in the sun during the week save for the back-and-forth trips to the car and office), as well as the antioxidants that everyone should use to nourish their skin.

I used to have extremely oily, blemish-prone skin, and while I still have occasional breakouts (especially around That Time of the Month), they're pretty well contained nowadays. Also, as I live in a very dry climate, wintertime is a good time for me to start breaking out more emollient sunscreens. The Definity foam moisturizer slathers on very light (it comes out like a shaving foam but melts into the skin) and leaves a slight sheen on my face that disappears within a few minutes. Also -- and this could be the power of suggestion -- my skin does appear brighter after application. Always a good thing.

I would definitely recommend this to women with combination/oil skin needing a moisturizing sunscreen in colder, drier months. I haven't tried it with makeup (I'm experimenting with the very scary no-makeup approach right now, save for occasional applications of lip gloss and/or lipstick), but it should work beautifully under your usual makeup. I apply it all over my face, neck and decolletage every morning, and my skin immediately feels very soft.

I don't think it's available in the Philippines as of yet, although I've read in the papers that it will be soon. When I was there a few weeks ago, Olay's Total Effects line was making a big splash, with actress Gretchen Barretto serving as spokesmodel. (She was in a frequently-broadcast commercial where she boasted that the moisturizer worked so well, she actually did a TV interview sans makeup. Did I believe her? Heck no. But her skin was glowing. Or it could be the lighting.) I haven't tried Total Effects yet, but I did get a few samples from a couple of hotels I've stayed in recently, so I may try that out sometime in the future.

Assuming that I don't totally fall in love with Definity, that is.

No comments: