Saturday, July 12, 2008

Beauty and Frugality in the New Economy

Have you been cutting back on some of your beauty indulgences because of the economy? I have to say, although I put a nice little dent in my debit card when I was at the NorthPark Center Sephora in Dallas a couple of months ago, I've been pretty frugal of late. (Did you know that Target's house brand version of Vaseline body lotions are just as good as the name brand? Seriously. Well, except for the Aloe & Cucumber. It has a funny smell.)

I really need to get a manicure, for example, and have been putting it off. Sure, it's $15, but it really does add up. Considering that I'm also going to Singapore in a couple of months and need to save up my dough for that, I'm looking very carefully at some of my beauty purchases.

I read about this site called Lifebooker.com, and some of you who live in the NYC are might be interested in it. I gather that it's a sort of collective space for spas and salons in the Big Apple to advertise and offer specials and discounts. It's apparently been doing very well since its launching less than a year ago. Not surprising given the recession, and I'm a firm believer in ensuring that women get even just a bit of pampering in the most trying times. It's more than an indulgence, after all, at least in my book. To me it's good for the soul, too.

If anyone has any experience with Lifebooker.com, leave a comment and let us know what you think and whether or not you'd recommend the site to others. The press release the company sent out says that they plan on expanding to include other sites nationwide. I doubt they'll be coming to Grand Junction anytime soon, but those of you in, say, Dallas, LA, San Fran, Houston, or Seattle might be getting a taste of it soon. Or maybe the entrepreneurial among you can beat them to the punch and set up your own homegrown, locally focused site!

No comments: