Sunday, July 20, 2008

Beauty Review: Nature's Gate Tea Tree Calming Shampoo

I seem to be on a real hair kick of late, haven't I? The desert's summer heat has really done a number on my hair recently, and the latest humidity levels haven't helped. Last night it was supposed to reach over 40% humidity -- that's like Dallas levels! So much for living in the desert.

It's made my light dandruff condition more than a little picky of late. Normally I wash my hair everyday, which both helps keep my locks from OD'ing on oil and keeps the flakes happily away. I still haven't found the perfect dandruff shampoo -- I don't like the smell of Head & Shoulders, and all others just strips all traces of oil from my scalp and hair. Not a good thing.

Aubrey Organics used to make this cade tar dandruff shampoo that didn't smell all that great but left my hair clean but well-moisturized. Now, maybe they discovered that cade tar actually makes you sterile or whatever, but I miss it so. Their new scalp treatment shampoos just don't cut it.

I've been using Nature's Gate Tea Tree Calming Shampoo the last few weeks, but I have to say that it's nothing special. It smells lovely, and I like the clear consistency. Plus, it really does help keep my scalp clear and healthy, so it lives up to its job description.

Still, it does overdo it a bit on the oil-clearing part, as my hair then requires a super-charged moisturizing conditioner to make up for the drying effect of the shampoo. Maybe that's just the nature of dandruff shampoos, and on scalps with severe cases of dandruff this might be a godsend.

I use this only every other day and alternate with a good, moisturizing shampoo so that I don't punish my strands with all these drying products before I even get out of the shower. It's a solid, inexpensive product that's a good alternative to the really harsh, drugstore dandruff shampoos that pile all kinds of high-octane ingredients on your delicate scalp. If your dandruff condition isn't that bad, though, you might want to use this only 3-4 times a week and give your hair a break by using a mild, moisturizing shampoo on the other days.

Price: $8 for 18 fl-oz. Available at health food stores and their Web site.

Reminder: Don't forget the great giveaway currently being offered by Beauty in Mahogany! I've got a couple of gorgeous BooJee Beads products on offer for two lucky winners. Click here to find out more on how easy it is to sign up and enter!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This seems to be a great site which offers many natural herbal products like boojee beads,colon cleanser, eleotin, herbal remedies, herbal supplements,nutritional supplements, and boojee beads etc. I would surely like to try their products.I had been relying on http://www.naturallyorganichealthstore.com/ earlier and they too offered good herbal products.

Canada Business Directory said...

Thanks for sharing it, obviously herbal products are awesome for health and wellness.

Lakewood personal trainer