Sunday, July 13, 2008

Beauty Review: Bare Escentuals Buxom Lips

My mom turned me on to this one. I'm not much into full-on lip color, especially during the summer when I want to be as bare-faced as possible without looking too, uhm, plain, you know? So for the most part, when I have to step out of the house and meet clients or even just hang out at Borders for an afternoon leafing through my favorite magazines, I like to swipe on some SPF lip balm and then a nice, non-goopy gloss in a color as close to my natural lip color as possible.

Mom couldn't stop raving about Bare Escentuals' Buxom Lips gloss. A presentation on QVC captured her attention, so she put in her order, got the package, immediately tried it, and was hooked. She gave me the Ginger color as a gift, and since then I've been equally captivated.

According to the Bare Escentuals site, this stuff is formulated with Bare Minerals and the added benefit of antixodants, something you don't often get in run-of-the-mill glosses. Plus, that the tingling feeling you get after application comes from the lip-plumping action released by the gloss. What exactly causes that boost, I've no clue, although the site helpfully informs you that the ceramide is responsible for repairing "damaged lip tissue" and "new collagen production."

Whatever. That slight cooling, tingly effect actually feels good, although I suspect that what's really behind the fuller-looking lips may be the sweet shine on your pucker left by the gloss. I love the rose color, a beautiful and flattering shade on milk chocolate complexions like mine, and -- ta da! -- it smooths on cleanly. No messy residue here, thank you very much. This is a super option for casual days and when you don't want to "do" your entire face but instead want a simple, easy look.

Price: $18. It comes in 11 shades, all gorgeous, and can be found at Sephora or on the Bare Escentuals Web site.

No comments: