Friday, July 25, 2008

Beauty Review: Ambi Even & Clear Daily Moisturizer SPF 30

I'm really loving all the skincare and cosmetic lines that are coming out specifically targeting women of color. Not that "conventional" skincare lines don't address our needs -- I've been a big fan of Neutrogena since college. Most of us will suffer through some form of acne at one point in our lives, even through adulthood (hello! me!), and for my money no skincare company comes close to matching Neutrogena's extensive selection of acne-fighting products.

Of course, one of the unfortunate byproducts of acne is potential scarring, and I think we have it harder than our paler sisters. Hyperpigmentation -- the skin's overproduction of melanin, whether as a result of excessive sun exposure or as part of the healing process -- is a big issue with us. I know it is with me, although it took some time for me to understand just how that plays into my choice of skincare products.

Ambi Skincare has been around for decades. I think I first heard about them in an advertisement they had in Essence Magazine. Still, this is the first time I've ever tried any of their products, and I'm totally sold on this moisturizer/sunscreen. It offers a generous 3 fl-oz in a good-sized pump bottle that ensures the antioxidants packed in the product aren't lost to air and light.

You know you don't need more than a teaspoon of this stuff on your face to ensure maximum sun protection right? A couple of pumps of this, and you're good to go! It absorbs super-fast, so there's no waiting around for your skin to stop looking oily -- this stuff's oil-free and dries quickly into a light, matte finish -- and you get broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection from the 3.0% Avobenzone/Parsol 1789 for an impressive SPF 30. And did I mention it's loaded with antioxidant Vitamins C & E for anti-aging as well as natural soy for its soothing properties?

Yeah, this is definitely a keeper. Even our white sisters can benefit from this, as it doesn't leave your skin looking all ghostly and ashy like a lot of high-SPF products. Great for everyday use or even if you'll be outdoors for a significant period of time. (Just remember to reapply after sweating, towelling or 2 hours out in the sun!)

Price: $10-13 for 3 fl-oz. Available at online or brick-and-mortar drugstores.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this product, too! I've been using it for a couple of years now and it does help to even out my skin a bit. I'm so happy that this product isn't the typical "whitening" lotion, which seems to be the rule of thumb solution for most Filipina's when it comes to discoloration. This actually works with the color of our skin, rather than erasing it completely. Like I always said, were from the islands, were supposed to be beautifully tanned!

Anyway, I really like your blog. I hope you don't mind if I link you.

Beauty in Mahogany said...

Hi, Imee! Thanks so much for your comment and the link-love!

Yeah, I love this too and am wearing it everyday now. Isn't it great how it just absorbs into your skin so you don't come across looking like a freakin' geisha? I like this even more than I do Neutrogrena's new high-octane SPF 70-85. At least it doesn't leave streaks and powdery flakes all over my skin and hair. Not. Pretty. :-)

Cheers,
Marjorie

Anonymous said...

This article is an appealing wealth of informative data that is interesting and well-written. I commend your hard work on this and thank you for this information. You’ve got what it takes to get attention. moisturizer with SPF